Volunteers are the heart of Greater Cleveland Habitat for Humanity. Our volunteers provide countless hours of service working in construction, at the ReStore, and helping in our Administrative Offices.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Greater Cleveland Habitat for Humanity, we are excited to have you get started with us! We ask that all new volunteers complete an orientation to hear about our history, mission and to discover all the wonderful volunteer opportunities we have available.
For your convenience, we offer the below orientation. Once you have completed the orientation, we will send you information on how to sign up for upcoming volunteer opportunities. If you prefer to attend an in-person orientation, you can sign up here.
All Habitat volunteer opportunities are for volunteers ages 16 and up. Volunteers under 18 must be accompanied by an adult when volunteering on a construction project and must abide by additional safety requirements.
Currently, we are onboarding volunteers that are interested in joining our Playhouse Pros, Plumbing Crew, a Construction Crew, Office Team, or the ReStore Team and can commit to volunteering at least once every week.
Current Volunteer Needs
- The Playhouse Pros will work out of our workshop to create the kits for each playhouse. The Playhouse Pros are also present at the playhouse builds to lead the volunteers. Builds will either be on the site of the sponsor, or at Habitat’s main office.
- Plumbing Crew volunteers work on nearly every Habitat Home, running water and drainage lines, installing toilets, tubs, and sinks, and more. Available Tuesday-Saturday, 9am-3pm. No experience required, just a willingness to learn.
- Construction Crew volunteers work to complete a home from beginning to end. A volunteer’s hands touch nearly every aspect of the build/rehab. Construction Crew volunteers may complete tasks such as framing, drywall, painting, plumbing, electric, flooring, cabinetry, and more. Available Monday-Friday, 9am-3pm.
- ReStore Team volunteers are able to join us at any of our three ReStore locations. We have a variety of opportunities for volunteers to choose from. ReStore volunteers can assist customers on the sales floor, help load and unload donations on the dock, or help to sort and display donations in one of our specialized departments such as housewares, lighting, or tools. Available Tuesday-Saturday, flexible scheduling.
- Volunteer as a receptionist at our main offices. (2110 W. 110th Street) Volunteer days are Monday-Saturday and shifts are 8am-12pm, 12pm-4pm or all day.
We appreciate your support, and we look forward to welcoming you to the Habitat Volunteer Team!
Recently, Greater Cleveland Habitat president John Litten was featured in an interview in Crain's Cleveland Business Magazine. The interview touched on Habitat's interest in modular homes and the potential they can have on affordable housing in Cleveland, such as a project in the works in Collinwood. "Ideally, the Collinwood houses will be modular ranches," said John.
In our wood shop, unique to the Cleveland ReStore location, you will find dedicated volunteers
who put the restore in ReStore. Many of our volunteers are now retired and dedicate their free
time to fixing up old furniture to create new, unique pieces that can be sold to the public. Not only
do they give their time, but they believe in the mission and purpose of Greater Cleveland Habitat
for Humanity…and they have fun doing it!
Jeannie has enjoyed volunteering at Greater Cleveland Habitat for six years now, and we are blessed to have her! Before volunteering with us, Jeannie worked as a Licensed Practical Nurse for ten years, as well as a school nurse. Her care for others is something that led her to volunteer for Greater Cleveland Habitat.
Greater Cleveland Habitat for Humanity will break ground on its 400 Home Strategic Initiative on Tues., Aug. 29th, at 10:30 a.m. at 10707 Crestwood Ave. in Cleveland.
Plan on visiting all three Greater Cleveland Habitat ReStore locations during our Garage Sale Day event on Saturday, Aug. 12. Enjoy discounts of 50% and 75% off select items at each store.
If you have ever been furniture-shopping in the Cleveland ReStore, you may have had the pleasure of speaking to Barb. The fact that she loves to shop and loves helping a worthwhile non-profit makes volunteering at a “win-win” for her.
Bob and Lois Minut both have been volunteering with Greater Cleveland Habitat for Humanity for over 30 years. The Minuts were there for the very first Walk/Run/Mosey fundraiser at the Ohio and Erie Canal reservation 22 years ago, and they were there at last year’s Walk handing out donuts at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo.
Ron Kear has been a volunteer with Greater Cleveland Habitat for Humanity for more than 22 years. Ron has led his share of construction teams over the years, and is always happy to lend a helping a hand to other teams of which he’s not in charge.
This is Greater Cleveland Habitat’s sixth year hosting the Building Great Futures program with Y.O.U. During that time, the organizations have seen a total of 66 program participants (including this year’s class), who have rehabbed 14 homes to help 17 adults and 27 children realize the dream of homeownership.
Doing some spring cleaning? Our ReStore truck will be set up to accept your donation of gently-used furniture or household items in the parking lot of the At Home store at 5223 Cobblestone Rd, Elyria, OH 44035 from 10am-4pm on Saturday, June 24th.
subscribe to our newsletter
Click the link below to sign up to receive our newsletter.